Almost every city in the world has a different office fit-out process. However, in Singapore, the procedures are quite straightforward. A design and build company have prepared a quick guide to an office renovation project from inception to completion.
The Planning Stage
- The client and designer will arrange for a preliminary meeting to establish the office requirements.
- Furthermore, the design and build company will perform a site audit to study the space, verify site measurements, take photos and investigate the M&E systems.
- Next, The team will provide preliminary test-fits and space plans for the office design.
- Upon approval of the test-fit the design and build company will prepare an (LOA) Letter of Appointment for client endorsement.
- After acceptance of the LOA, the company will conduct an assessment of the building management and (QP) Qualified Personnel requirement for submission and vetting purposes.
The Design and Presentation Stage
- The design team will prepare the mood boards, 3D visuals, materials, furniture, and finishes selection for presentation and clients approval.
- Therefore (QS) quantity surveyors and designers will work together on the estimates or (BQ) Bill of Quantities to finalize the cost and contract with the client.
- After the contract sign-off, the design team will work with the project manager to plan the construction and implementation on site.
- Consequently, depending on the office fit-out requirements, additional permits may be needed from the authorities like BCA, URA, NEA.
The Construction Stage
- The project manager will prepare a detailed schedule outlining the renovation and completion timeline of the project for client approval.
- The design team will submit a set of construction drawings.
- The project manager prepares the risk assessment, method statement, and contractors all-risk insurance together with other required documents to the building management for (PTW) permit to work application.
- As a result, upon approval of the permit, the office renovation can commence.
- Furthermore, the designer and project manager will perform an actual site marking to confirm the definite layout with the client.
- Also, toolbox and safety meetings are organized by the project manager and a safety officer with the participation of all vendors and sub-contractors involved in the project to ensure WSHC and Bizsafe full safety compliance.
- The project manager, designer, and client representative will hold regular site meetings to ensure satisfaction and conformity with all plans and specifications.
- Any additional items or (VO) Variation Order on the site will be on a separate client requisition form.
Watch this interesting time-lapse of an office fit-out.
The Completion Stage
- The project manager and client representative will conduct a joint site inspection to check for workmanship defects for rectification.
- Once all rectification works are complete, the design and build company will hand over the office space to the client.
- Consequently, a practical completion certificate will be issued to cover the defects liability period.
- Hence, the designer and project manager will prepare and submit as-built plans and post-construction documents to the building management copied to the client for full compliance.
- Finally, the design and build company will keep a project track record for Building Construction Authority accreditation.
“Remember, upon completion after sales service is paramount to maintain client relationship and recurring business.”
Thank you for reading, Please let me know if you have any comment or suggestion to improve my article.
You may also want to read this related article: Tips on Office Reinstatement and furniture disposal in Singapore