Interior design is an important aspect of any living or working space, and hiring an interior designer can be a great way to make sure that your space is functional, aesthetically pleasing, and tailored to your specific needs and preferences. However, it’s important to understand the fees associated with hiring an interior designer, so that you can budget accordingly and make an informed decision.
In Singapore, the fees for interior design services can vary greatly depending on the designer, the scope of the project, and the complexity of the design. Generally, interior designers will charge a combination of an hourly consultancy rate and a project fee. The hourly rate will depend on the designer’s experience and expertise and can range from $150 to $300 per hour. The project fee will depend on the scope of the project and can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars.
It’s also important to note that interior designers are not required to be licensed or registered in Singapore, Hence there is a new SIDAC accreditation scheme for Interior Designers that was launched in 2021, it helps regulate the industry so it’s important to do your research and find an accredited designer with a good reputation and portfolio. It’s also a good idea to get references and check them before hiring a designer.
As a small boutique ID firm, we recently received a few emails and phone calls asking for an ID consultation for a new office fit-out and as usual, asking for a site visit, a proposed layout, 3D visuals, and a quotation. This time it’s different, we have to do it on our own due to our recent company restructuring as a result of the pandemic, and we have less manpower and resources. This time, there will be more at stake as we also have to value our time and effort or if we don’t secure the project it may significantly impact our cash flow due to the days or weeks spent in pitching without certainty.
As a result, we came up with a simple fee policy that may help us in dealing with uncertainty as we bounce back to normalcy. For some, this may be at the low end of the pay scale, but our rationale is at least to kickstart the process and educate our clients about the importance of professional fees and the need to survive our business.
A simple FEE guide for Interior Designers in Singapore:
- First meeting / Design briefing – FOC (Free of Charge) but in our office (ID Firms place)
- Succeeding meetings (by client) – $150 to $300 depending on the seniority of staff attending the meeting.
- Site Audit / Site Visit – $200 per hour (for the first hour – $100 for succeeding hours)
- Design Proposals – Non-confirmed project $5 per sq. ft of the area to be designed. Charged as “Design Fee Deposit” – Deductible only upon confirmation of the Project. (Deliverables and Revisions to be discussed and agreed between both parties)
- Upon Confirmation of the Project, we will charge 8 to 10% of the construction cost as design fees. “Design Fee Deposit” to be offset/deducted.
- Client Site Meeting 3 to 4 times per project. Additional meetings will be charged at $150 to $300 per hour.
- Full-time Project Management & Administration fee is between 5-10% of construction cost.
- Package Cost, Design & Manage 15 to 20% of the total project cost
Disclaimer: The information provided above is for general informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. The prices and fees discussed in the article are based on our ID Firms schedule of fees and may vary depending on the specific designer, project, and location. “It’s important to do your own research and find a reputable designer with a good portfolio and references.”
This article has been updated on the 12th of January 2023. It has been released in our Linkedin Newsletter as “Navigating the Cost of Professional Interior Design Services in Singapore”
You may want to leave your comments and suggestions on our Facebook page. For related articles you may want to read this; What to do with non-paying customers on construction projects